"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want go far, go together."- African Proverb
Have you ever been part of a group, network, team or community that has propelled you to your full potential? Maybe you collectively created and delivered an incredible event or an innovative project? Maybe your unified passion, drive and determination helped you achieve something of greatness? Something that not only served others, but expanded YOU as a person.
As the African proverb states, "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want go far, go together."
Why do we gain so much when we work together? What are the benefits? How can you tap into those benefits TODAY via your own teams, groups and communities?
Here are my top 8 observations:
1. They are our greatest cheerleaders. Surround yourself with people who believe in you and YOU will rise. Surround yourself with the RIGHT people and watch your mission become theirs also. Remember to be their cheerleader in return.
2. They are our support network. When we are facing a challenge, feeling a bit lost and unsure, confused about the next step OR when we feel afraid our support network lifts us and guides us through. I have personally watched members of my community embrace and support others, even if they had never experienced that particular challenge themselves, with empathy and compassion. This trait is a true reflection of the human spirit.
3. They combat any feelings of isolation. Working with others can help alleviate feelings of isolation, boredom and loneliness. Probably the most common feedback I receive when I host group events is that people no longer feel alone. EVEN if their individual challenges seem unique on the outside, underneath we all crave the same things.
4. They nurture our sense of belonging. No matter what our personal and professional circumstance, connecting with others creates social interaction and increases our sense of belonging in our wider community. It is so heart-warming when someone shares something they feel is unique to them (and maybe causes them to feel shame) only to have to someone raise their hand and say "me too".
5. They give us another perspective. When you are absorbed and engulfed in your own life and career it is sometimes difficult to see things from another point of view. Had a tiff with your business partner, colleague or friend? Struggling with a difficult client? Raise it with your support network. Not only will a true cheerleader keep your confidences, they will often have an outsider’s perspective which may expand your mind to another possibility.
6. They teach us life lessons and how to respect differences. Advances in technology allow us to meet on a global scale, opening our worlds to diversity and cultures unlike our own. As someone who spent a decade doing this in person, I personally appreciate I can now experience this by logging onto my laptop. The world is "getting smaller" and this more intimate connection gives us the opportunity to expand our minds to other points of view and learn from others all over the globe, thus bringing us together as one.
7. They inspire us and drive us forward. There is a saying that if you are smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room - something I personally embrace. When I immerse myself in opportunities with people I find inspiring, but also intimidating (only in my own mind of course), I am never disappointed. Of course I feel uncomfortable (#fraudcomplex) at first. But I also learn a lot about myself, unwrap gifts I didn't even realise I possessed, cultivate my secondary skills and move forward at a much faster rate than I would have flying solo. 8. It's fun! Friendships, laughter, connection, community, joy, expansion, creation, leadership, inspiration and growth.
The power a circle of like-minded women create is a power to behold. If you would like to explore ways to do this with me as your coach, I have two opportunities available right now. Join me for a one-hour webinar OR lean into a deeper commitment via the Salon. All the details are below.
THE SALON - A group coaching program for those wishing to spend six months learning to EXPAND (their minds to new ways of thinking), CREATE (whatever it is they wish in their life, career or business) and LEAD and inspire others. We kick off in September! CLICK HERE to find out more.
SMASH THROUGH SELF SABOTAGE FREE ONLINE WORKSHOP - Join me on Tuesday 13 August at 7pm (Melbourne time) and learn one way to kick your inner critic to the kerb. Master this, you'll master your life! Don't worry if the time doesn't suit - a recording will be sent out to all who registered regardless of if they are on the call or not. CLICK HERE to find out more.